Thursday 7 May 2009

'Sliding Doors' moment.

I loved that film.

The film follows the life of Helen Quilley (Gwyneth Paltrow), who is fired from her public relations job. The film's plot splits into two parallel universes which run in tandem. In one universe, Helen manages to catch a London Underground train home on time, and in the other she misses it.

In the first scenario, she gets home in time to catch her boyfriend Gerry (John Lynch) red-handed with his ex-girlfriend Lydia (Jeanne Tripplehorn); she promptly dumps him, and meets (and falls in love with) a new man James (John Hannah). Helen met James on the underground, where he engages in discussion with her, including references to pop culture icons like the Beatles and Monty Python.

In the second scenario, she misses the train and tries to catch a cab. While hailing a taxi, Helen falls victim to an attempted mugging. Helen hits her head in the scuffle and is taken to the hospital. She arrives home late, giving Lydia time to leave.

Wonderful premise that begs the question: when was my sliding doors moment?

Was it when I left home at the age of 22 to move in with a man who would then become the father of my kids, my husband and eventually leave me for a younger work colleague?

Was it realising my feelings for Mr Tall after months of holding him at arms length for fear of falling in love again?

Delving deeper, we can all look to any major occurance in our lives and realise we have many 'sliding doors' moments. Are these seen as wistful 'if only's'?

Truth is, what happens to us builds our character into however we choose. Stronger, jaded, happier, bitter etc. We can all wistfully stare into our pasts and wonder if the hand dealt was fair or not.

It is how we choose to learn from each and every 'sliding doors' moment that defines us.

When was yours?

4 comments:

  1. I think mine was when I was getting together with my wife. We were both students and she went out snogging someone else. I chose to go and talk to her and let her know my feelings for her and it all worked out beautifully.

    I almost decided not to go and talk to her that night as I was hurt and another girl was flirting with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How romantic! *swoon* That's a keeper.
    Glad it all worked out poifect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, got married had kids and cheesily in love :)

    Oddly we've passed each other a few times in our lives but never met until then. Ever since we've been inseparable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bizzarely Science has a term for this. It's called 'Quantum Realities' The suggestion is that we all have many paths to go down as we make each decision. The 'Many Realities' camp will say that all realities are happening at the same time.... hope my reality with my ex is coping :o))))))

    ReplyDelete